Monday, April 11, 2011

In The Beginning...

Okay, so day 1 of my garden has commenced. I have decided to tackle 5 different plants. In the past I have worked on 3 at most and they have mostly consisted of herbs. I did try a small pepper variety in a pot last year but the results were not so great.

This year I am trying something new. I am starting my seeds in pellets and will transplant them in a few weeks once there are a few leaves on each plant. Previously, I have started seeds directly in the pots they mature in but with the crazy weather this year (I am over the snow...didn't nature get the memo, it's not winter anymore!), I am trying a new approach.



In the picture, you can see that I have expanded the pellets and planted the seeds. I am using an old storage container to hold the seeds for now and am covering it with a plastic bag. The bag should help hasten this growing process which is good for me since I have little patience. The plants are (from left) tomato, lettuce, cucumber, green bean (2 plants), and carrots (2 plants). I will get into the specific varieties at a later date.

So for now, all I need to do to prepare for the transplanting is ready my containers (all purpose buckets from the hardware store) and find an appropriate potting soil. I am so excited for these seeds to sprout, for me this is the hardest part of the whole process. I am all about instant gratification so this will be a good test in patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment